OHSU Tuality Healthcare had a humble start in 1918 when an enterprising woman named Minnie Jones Coy (fourth from the left) started a small six-bed hospital in her Hillsboro home.
A High Regard for Human Dignity
Minnie Jones Coy
With only a fourth grade education, Minnie Jones Coy took the initiative to meet a vital community need by establishing the Jones Hospital in Hillsboro, Oregon. She brought together independent physicians under one roof to treat the sick and provide a safe place for mothers to give birth.
When Minnie Jones Coy passed away in 1952, the hospital had moved several times and grown to 74-beds. Community-minded physicians pooled their resources and bought the hospital from her estate, establishing it as a non-profit institution to improve the quality of care for everyone in the community.
In 1954, the hospital officially changed its name from Jones Hospital to Tuality Community Hospital reflecting our mission to serve the community with quality clinical care and unparalleled service.
A century after Minnie Jones Coy made her commitment to the people of Hillsboro, her vision continues as we provide world-class health care to patients in Hillsboro and western Washington County.
Read Tuality’s History Highlights (PDF) »